The following is a guest post from momAgendaCOMM blogger Michele McGraw.
We all know the saying, “If momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” As Moms, we are the pulse of the home. Our moods affect each member of the family and I’ve seen it first hand in my own family. The more stressed I am, the more anxious my kids get…
I have found that taking a little “me time” each day is an important part of living a healthy lifestyle. It may seem like a selfish act and maybe you don’t think you have the time, but my days are less stressful and I accomplish more when I take care of me first.
If you are a night owl, take 30 minutes at night and if you are a morning person, take 30 minutes in the morning. You will see a difference.
Here are a few guidelines to help you make the most of those 30 minutes.
1. Find a happy spot in your home. It could be your kitchen, your office, a chair or your bed. Can’t think of your happy place? Then make one. Gather items in your house which make you happy and create your own happy spot. I use my bed because it’s where I feel most comfortable.
2. Make a “happy” drink. This doesn’t have to be alcoholic either. I like to make a hot cup of my sleep time tea. In the summer time, if it’s too hot, I will have a glass of ice cold water with fresh lemon and lime squeezed in it.
3. Listen to music that calms you. I love the sounds of the ocean, so I usually listen to ocean sounds on my iPod. Choose the kind of music that will relax you.
4. Forget all of your worries. I know that may sound difficult, but I’ve found that if I try to use this time for good rather than worrying, I am sometimes able to come up with solutions for whatever problems I may have at the time.
5. Use a pretty notebook and pen. I have several notebooks that I have bought just because I thought they were pretty. I’m also a bit of a pen collector. I use them to write down thoughts or ideas I have and this is just another little way in which I enjoy to spend my “me time.”
6. Have your agenda with you. This is the perfect time to look over your schedule or update your To Do list and if you feel more organized, you will feel more in control of the situation.
Each night before I go to bed, I get my tea, notebook, agenda and pen and lay down in my happy place (my bed.) I put on the ocean sounds and I spend about 10 minutes just thinking. I let my mind wander. I write down anything that comes to my mind that I don’t want to forget. Next, I spend some time looking over my agenda and To Do list for the next day. I decide when I will workout and what to make for dinner. I usually end with a bit of business planning. I decide on blog topics or brainstorm any projects I’m working on at the moment.
This whole process is about 30 minutes long. There are nights where it’s only 10 minutes and maybe a night where I’m too exhausted and it doesn’t happen. I don’t let it stress me out. But I have found that taking those 30 minutes each day have helped me stay organized and be more efficient.
If you aren’t sure about this, then give yourself 2 weeks and try it out. You might find that this is a ritual you will look forward to each day.
What are some of the ways in which you spend some “me time?” Are you willing to give this suggestion a try?
Michele is CEO of Mom Geek Media and creator of Scraps of My Greek Life, a blog offering daily commentary, advice, reviews and shared experiences of how her real life and the digital domain connect. You can also connect with her on Twitter.